International Perspectives: Mei Wang

International Perspectives: Mei Wang

This is a blog about my first 2 months in SU as an international student who studies journalism in a totally different cultural background. And I will be very honest, since the Chinese students who are planning to apply for Newhouse might read it.

I wanted to write some fancy things, but the truth is that I can’t. I’ve been struggling with writing for the entire 2 months, since neither my mother tongue – Chinese—nor my undergraduate major – Spanish—have anything to do with English or American journalism. What I’ve heard the most during boot camp might be: “You did good in reporting, but you need to work hard on writing…Rewrite the sentences and try to be concise.”

One of the best things I have learned in the past 2 months is how important concision is. But it’s really hard to achieve the goal.

To be specific, in China, English teachers always encouraged us to use a lot of subordinate clauses, passive voices, and big words to make our compositions look “glittering.” However, all the AJs and MNOers who have taken NEW605 (News Writing and Reporting) during boot camp know that concise actually comes first.

So, for all those Chinese students who want to study journalism in Newhouse, or in America, try your best to improve your writing skills before coming here. It will definitely make your life much easier.

It was tough, but there were also adventures beyond your imagination. Studying journalism, you can talk to people you otherwise wouldn’t meet, and you will see things you otherwise wouldn't see. I had never expected that I would be able to meet a bunch of interesting people in only 6 weeks. It’s about jumping out of your comfort zone everyday.

Without those seemingly impossible assignments, I wouldn’t know why Asian populations have increased so quickly in Central New York during the past 10 years. I wouldn’t know the 10-year waiter in the city’s best BBQ restaurant is actually planning to do interior design in the near future. I wouldn’t know the touching story of a mother whose daughter’s organs had been donated to help others after her death.

Learning journalism in a foreign language is a big challenge for everyone, but the training and knowledge you obtain from it are so worthwhile. The skills of writing, communication, and networking are essential in every industry all over the world. And they are exactly what you can get from this school and this major.

It’s just bittersweet in all ways, for me and for a lot of other Chinese students. But I won’t stop trying and will not give up.

Jillian Thaw