Winter Internship: Broadcast and Digital Journalism in Los Angeles at KABC-TV

LA Experience

Internship at KABC-TV

My name is Rilwan Ameen and I am a graduate student in the Broadcast & Digital Journalism Program under the Sports Communication Emphasis. During my 2013 winter break, I took an opportunity in which little did I know, would turn out to be the experience of a lifetime. From mid-December to mid-January I was a Sports Intern at ABC 7’s affiliate in Glendale, California (the #2 ranked Television Market in the country). 

There it was, on December 16, 2013 I embarked on my journey to Los Angeles for the first time in my life. I was excited just to be heading to the West Coast as the East Coast was drowsed in a snow blizzard. For three weeks I would be interning at KABC-TV in Glendale, California in the station's Sports Department working primarily as vacation fill-in help. In my commute first it was a stopover in Denver, the mile high city. Soon after I departed to Burbank's Bob Hope Airport.  

California was everything I expected and more. As a part of my sports internship experience at KABC-TV, I was selected for several media credentials covering high profile events. Fate had it that many big events fell in 2014 (the BCS National Championship Game was one) which I was fortunate enough to cover on Jan 6th in Pasadena. Going out with the sports department crew (reporter, sports anchor and videographers) I was there to assist on site and partake in the festivities as a member of the media.  

As an intern, I worked 4-5 days a week although the holidays were a mixed bad. (Getting Christmas, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve off but working on New Year’s Day.)

With an already dream internship, I was fortunate enough to be expected to to cover Lakers and Clippers practices on call, getting SOTs with players and conducting interviews that would air on the 6 PM nightly newscast. After the practices, I was even able to do my own reporter stand-ups! based off of the information I gathered as a reporter on-site.

Some of the major events I covered were the Beef Bowl in Beverly Hills, an event that has been college football's annual tradition prior to every Rose Bowl game since 1957; where both participating teams compete in some light-hearted fun and indulge themselves in some prime rib eating. As for my results in the beef bowl, I was able to consume a grand total of two pieces of beef (the record is 8). Needless to say Southern California tradition, bowl football and prime rib can make for quite the contest and lasting memories to along with it.

Finally I was honored to be standing on the sidelines of the final BCS Championship game and the topsy-turvy nature of the action with Florida State prevailing over Auburn on a final second touchdown. Here is the play that drove myself and thousands of other fans crazy on adreanaline – 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152210785531096&set=vb.658161095&type=3&theater

â€‹Settling back down into the fold of my spring semester here in Syracuse, I just couldn’t help but reminisce on three weeks of my life filled with the fond memories I gained during my time in Los Angeles. The best three weeks of my life were due to the warm welcome and reception I was afforded while interning at KABC-TV (the warm weather didn’t hurt either). 

In allowing me to partake in the daily activities of the sports department, while also taking the time out of their busy schedules to mentor and impart their knowledge of the industry on me; I gained invaluable experience that I am extremely grateful for.

My time at KABC was truly eye-opening and I spent days there that I will never ever forget. Finally, I’d like to thank Professor Suzanne Lysak for pointing me in the direction of the internship and guiding me along the peaks and valleys of the application process. Also Professor John Nicholson for answering my numerous inquiries throughout my time in LA and providing helpful tips for content I could produce for the Newhouse Sports Media Center.

Jillian Thaw