First Week Recap

First Week Recap

The first week of classes is almost over, and it has really solidified why I chose to come to Newhouse for my master’s degree. I have four classes this semester, and each professor brings a unique perspective to the classroom that I wouldn’t find anywhere else. The campus is beautiful, my job is great and the opportunities I have for networking here are limitless.

Professor Kate Brodock  is bringing her brand of cutting-edge professionalism into 21st century public relations writing. Her emphasis on learning how to navigate social media correctly is revolutionary, and the infusion of digital activism/feminism is something that every student should look into.

Dennis Kinsey teaches my Research Methods class. Kinsey is affable and flexible, but that shouldn’t fool you: he’s dedicated to his job. My undergraduate major was in Sociology, and I considered waiving Kinsey’s class. After attending the first class and hearing about Q Methodology, something I never studied in undergraduate, I was hooked. I learned how to perform statistical analysis in my undergraduate career, but Kinsey plans to teach us how to apply it to our careers.

David Rubin is the former dean of Newhouse (many of you may know his sandwich, the Dean Rubin, at food.com). Rubin had a stern look on his face when we entered the classroom, the paragon of old-school teaching. As class started, the stern look was replaced by joviality and honesty. Rubin’s passion for communication law is unrivaled, and that passion is why so many (including myself) find law interesting.

Hua Jiang teaches PR Theory. We only introduced ourselves on Thursday, but her lively demeanor and mile-long list of accomplishments is exciting. Learning from someone like that is what I came to Newhouse to do.

I’ve only been in Syracuse since June, but the people I’ve met are amazing. The professors, students and friends I’ve encountered have all been great.  I love that the campus is beautiful and relatively flat (for reference, here’s where I’m from), and my job for the Graduate Records Office is a great introduction to using social media for a client.  So far, life is good.

Andrew Lovejoy