A Bollywood Extravaganza

A Bollywood Extravaganza

The Syracuse International Film Festival ended this Sunday with a screening of the Indian drama film “Ship of Theseus.”  This was not the only Indian film in the festival’s line-up this year: the festival also honored Indian director Madhur Bhandarkar with the Sophia Award for Lifetime Achievement and screened two of his movies, “Heroine” and “Fashion”.

Madhur Bhandarkar, winner of the Sophia Award at the Syracuse International Film Festival. Pic courtesy: planetbollywood.com

For those who didn’t grow up in India, the concept of Bollywood is a combination of glitz, glamour and a lot of sappy romedy (romantic-comedy). Bhandarkar’s films definitely have the glitz, but are more on the serious side, more realistic and exposé.
“Heroine,” a 2012 movie, narrates the story of superstar Mahi Arora (Kareena Kapoor). The film captures the life of a diva in distress. Arora’s career takes a turn due to some poor decisions, which eventually lead into depression.

The movie is a long, intense drama and requires patience. There is no love story, not even a happy ending. “Heroine” was not a box-office hit in India.  But then again, it received some critical reviews and managed to do its job: scratching the surface of the big bad world behind the Indian film industry.

Bhandarkar’s second movie that was screened was “Fashion.” If I had to pick between the two, I would pick “Fashion.” The movie is exactly what it sounds like – the world of fashion in India. It traces the life story of small-towner Meghna Mathur (Priyanka Chopra) who goes to Mumbai, the city of dreams, with the hopes of being a supermodel. She climbs the ladder of success in haste and leaves common sense behind, turning into an arrogant model, which eventually leads to her downfall. But Mathur joins the pieces of her broken life to make a comeback into the brutal industry and manages to make a mark as a successful model.

“Fashion” is the story of success through the eyes of a woman who will do whatever it takes to make it to the top and put away judgment in that process.  The film was nominated for and won numerous awards, including FilmFare Awards for Best Director, Best Actress, Supporting Actress, Screenplay, and International Indian Film Academy Awards for Best Director, Best Actress, Supporting Actress, and Screenplay.   “My movies are neither over the top nor traditionally arty; they are real,” said Bhandarkar after receiving the Sophia Award from Tom Bower. “My stories have a universal appeal, they are human stories that people anywhere in the world can connect to.”

His other movies, including “Page 3,” “Traffic Signal,” “Chandni Bar” and “Corporate,” are among his best-known movies in India. Each discuss a concern; while “Page 3” narrows down the life of a celebrity journalist, “Chandni Bar,” his best celebrated movie, is a take on Mumbai’s underworld of prostitution and dance bars.

Clearly Bhandarkar is not the Mills & Boons maker of Bollywood, he is the big daddy of realism. “ I’ve had people get offended after watching my movies, but what can I say, I am a good storyteller and my inspiration has always the headlines in Indian newspapers,” said Bhandarkar. “The gossip and daily scandals are what push me to make cinema like I do”.

His next film is rumored to be about calendar girls. Here’s hoping the film is a hit, but above all that Bhandarkar continues to expose the harsh and dramatic lives of all those who shine under the spotlight.

Ishani Chatterji