The Summer Internship Search Process

The Summer Internship Search Process

It’s the time of year when my fellow public relations colleagues and I are beginning to search for our summer internships. This internship is not only a great way to put the strategies and skills I’ve learned to use but will be vital in determining where I obtain my full-time position after graduating. My particular situation is a bit unique, since I am also a law student and have to balance my obligations to that program in addition to my public relations responsibilities.

There are many opinions on how to best approach the internship search process. I personally feel that narrowing the search down by location first is the best approach. For me, it’s quite simple – Chicago, New York City, Boston, and Washington, D.C. I’m a big-city guy – always have been and always will be. I like Syracuse for school but can’t see myself living in a city like this after school.

big-cities-wallpaper-8

After the location has been determined, then it is best to determine what public relations internship opportunities are available in the area. In big cities, there will be a myriad of different positions available at agencies, corporations and government entities. In small cities, there are likely still opportunities available, but they might need some additional research to uncover. I’ve decided that working at an agency, at least initially, is best for me so that I can get exposure to the many different aspects of the public relations business. After figuring out what I’m really good at and what I need to work on, then I’ll be in a better position to make my next career move.

artificial pr

It goes without saying that the Career Development Office is an invaluable resource throughout this process. In addition, my professors have also provided me with great guidance and given very interesting perspectives based on their own personal experience. One of the many great parts about being a Newhouse student is being able to take advantage of the wealth of resources made available to me.

I hope to have my summer internship search process finalized in the near future!

Siddharth Bahl