The Summer Internship Search Process Cont.

The summer internship search process is now in full swing. My public relations colleagues and I are in the midst of corresponding with human resources representatives from various organizations and firms. In some cases, we are coordinating phone or in-person interviews and trying to research living arrangements. This intricate process is equally stressful and exciting.

I’ve found that it’s important to take advantage of every opportunity to talk with public relations professionals, particularly those involved in human resources. Let’s face it – most of the jobs we apply to won’t lead anywhere. Regardless of skill, talent, credentials, and experience, the ultra-competitive market of today is bound to get the better of us more often than not. That’s why getting something out of each and every interaction is critical.

professional-network

I’ve developed a fairly robust system for keeping track of these “networking” opportunities. Every interaction I have with public relations professionals, whether it be via email, over the phone, in-person, or otherwise is documented in a log that I keep. I track each interaction so it triggers my memory and gives me talking points to continue dialogue. Networking is of utmost importance in any field, but especially so in public relations. Finding a system that works for you is integral to success.

Siddharth Bahl