Off-campus coffee shops & study holes

Off-campus coffee shops & study holes

Sometimes (most times) I like to get off campus and go find a change of scenery to study.  Before I had a home office, (second bedroom with a desk and chair…where my dog also sleeps) I would order one cup of coffee and spend at least 5 hours studying at a coffee shop.  My notes, laptop and notecards took up entire tables, or booths.  Horrible, I know but all graduate students do this right?  Not just me?  No?  Alright.

Moving on, I have found some great coffee shops that I’ve adored for their brew and their food.  I’m going to give you a little insider knowledge (see what I did there) about three of my favorites in different parts of town.

1. Cafe at 407

Located at: 407 Tulip St. Liverpool, NY 13088

Hours: M – Th 8a until 7p; Fr – Su 8a until 4p

The Coffee: The coffee and tea are good.  I love getting a latte in a mug there, they do latte art!

The Food: SO good!  I love their warm pita and hummus platter.  They also have delicious cheddar broccoli soup, along with a whole menu of salads and sandwiches.  They boast a nice cohort of pastries as well.

The Atmosphere:  This place is much like a traditional cafe.  They play music and they have an eclectic bunch of tables, chairs and wall art.  Near the front are some comfy chairs and a couch.  Some days they have live music.  People from all ages and walks of life come here.  Which is great if you’re a people watcher.

Fun Fact: This is a “cafe with a cause”, they buy directly from farmers and change their menu seasonally to coincide with growing seasons.  Additionally, all of the cafe’s proceeds got to Ophelia’s Place: a nonprofit dedicated to changing the culture and conversation around eating disorders, body image and body dissatisfaction.  This is my favorite cafe to go to on a Saturday or Sunday.

2. Recess Coffee

RecessCoffee_Counter

Located at: 110 Harvard Pl. Syracuse, NY 13210

Hours: 7a until 12a EVERYDAY!

The Coffee: The coffee is fine.  The teas are delicious.  This place also has all sorts of different flavored coffee drinks.  Many of which are inspired by candy! i.e., the Almond Joy, the Rollo and more…

The Food: The food is good, they have panini’s, salads, sandwiches, and so. many. pastries.  Lots of which come in the vegan variety.

The Atmosphere: FANTASTIC!  This place is right off Westcott so there are always students there getting their study on or holding meetings.  There are an assortment of tables and chairs, couches and big comfy chairs and even a high-top bar to look out of the window with LOTS of outlets.  One room is clearly set up for studying (more/larger tables and lots of outlets) and the other back room seems to be more for lounging and recreation.  There’s also an outside patio with several tables and chairs for when the weathers nice.

Fun Fact: Recess has board and card games for in-house use.  My boyfriend and a few of our friends just went to drink some coffee and tea, play games and relax, after my first year law school finals.  It was a great way to end the year.

3. Cafe Kubal Coffee Roaster

Cafe_Kubal

Located at: (Cafe Kubal has several locations in Syracuse, including campus.  However in this post I’m referencing the downtown location) 401 S. Salina St. Syracuse, NY 13202

Hours: M – F 7a until 6p, Sa – Su 8a until 6p

The Coffee: Strong!  So be prepared for that.  It’s good too, and they also do latte art!

The Food: They have wraps, panini’s and sandwiches here along with other stuff.  Their baked good are delicious!

The Atmosphere: Varies.  If you go during the week, lots of people will be there conducting business meetings or rushing in and out for coffee trying to get back to their office or grabbing a light lunch.  On the weekends, the atmosphere is more relaxed.

Fun Fact: They have a quick pick online ordering system.  Great for those rush in and out moments.

Delisa Morris
Twitter - @morrisdelisa
LinkedIn - Delisa Morris

Delisa Morris is a current master's in PR candidate and third-year law student at Syracuse University. She studied political science and communication at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where she received her bachelor's degree. Delisa is originally from Chicago.