Six Important Tips I Learned From My First Career Fair

There is a lot of competition amongst Newhouse students when it comes to finding an internship. Networking may seem overwhelming or intimidating at first, so here are a few tips that go me through my fist career fair.

1. Put your best foot forward, literally. Wear your fancy shoes and dress for success. Even if you’re not put together on the inside, don’t let your nerves get the best of you. A put together outfit will allow you to…
  2. Fake it ’til you make it. Whether you’re feeling blue or have a summer cold, lean in and pretend you’re on top of your game. Just be sure to…
  3. Do your research. Browse through the company’s page and search to see what others are saying about the company.  Many will even have a link to the intern blog on their site. Use what you found out about the company to impress the recruiter. Give them less work to do after giving your…
  4. Elevator pitch- Don’t bore the recruiter with the same info they here from everyone. Be energetic and knowledgeable about the company. Stand out from the hundreds of eager students they will talk to that day. Leave them thinking of you as an outstanding candidate with…
  5. An outstanding handshake- Not too firm, but not wimpy like a wilted flower is key.  A firm handshake radiates confidence. The recruiter will want you to…
  6. Follow up. Send an email thanking the recruiter for his time. Restate the position you’re applying for and attach your resume. The one you gave him or her at the fair may be shuffled into a giant pile in a desk drawer. This will give the recruiter easy access to your information. For more tips on resume writing, the Newhouse Career Development Center.

These tips may seem basic, but it is easy to forget small details when hustling through the room buzzing with students competing for the same jobs as you. These tips, along with the support of classmates, got me through my first career fair and landed me an internship.

Leslie Brocksmith