Time of the Season | Thoughts on October

Fall has always been my favorite season. I can finally utilize my wardrobe full of flannels and sweaters, seasonal drinks are back in rotation, and of course, the foliage is beautiful. I have countless memories of carefree days spent with my friends in the fall, and so I always welcome the season with great anticipation. However, this past weekend was a bit strange for me. As both an alum and a current student, I found myself in a sort of limbo. Nostalgia was burning deep in my chest as I walked down Euclid Avenue, and my future was looming before me. It was difficult to grasp the idea that 5 years of my life had gone by, and that my only connection to the “student village” were my memories. Still, I’m grateful to have had a slow weekend; for the past few weeks I was so wrapped up in midterms I didn’t realize October had come and nearly gone. If I hadn’t taken a moment for myself this weekend, I probably would have missed the fall season altogether. It’s easy to ignore the world around you when you’ve lived there for years, but I’ve realized that this is my last year in Syracuse. Instead of dwelling on my own mortality or lamenting the coming winter, I decided to document Central New York’s beauty one last time.

While Syracuse itself is not a “hot spot” for watching the leaves change, if you take a moment to really explore you can find real autumn beauty without having to go all the way to Ithaca or the Adirondacks. I encourage everyone, while the weather is still bearable, to take an hour of of their day for a slow walk around the city, do some self-reflection, and realize that most likely you won’t be in Syracuse forever. This is a very unique stage of your life, and it’s important to relish each moment and memory you make. Syracuse and I have had a tumultuous relationship, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Though grad school has kept me busy day after day, I still plan to make this final year as memorable as the past 5.

Now get out there and look at some leaves before they’re gone.

octobersyr

[click to see full size]

For a great view that’s close to home, go to the top of Thorndon Park. You can see downtown Syracuse and all the trees on the surrounding mountains.

Alexandra Mantzoros