My Curiosity is Winning

My Curiosity is Winning

Like many of you, I’ve never known anything other than school for most of my life. It’s always been the same thing. Robotic, controlled, repetitive days with only a handful of chances to explore outside the classroom. Then college came and I experienced my first sense of freedom. One of my favorite parts was making my own schedule each semester. I liked having choices and balancing working hard with enjoying life. I’m not afraid to work hard in school, but I crave hands on experience and learning in the real world. I like to be comfortable for sure, but who ever grew by being comfortable?

Now that I’m officially in my last year of school, I’m feeling that urge to make another jump into newly found freedom. I want my future jobs to not only relate to representing artists, but also to exploring my own curiosity and sharing it with others. I’m trying to take this time in my life to live and experience some really cool opportunities, instead of staying in one building from nine to five every day. Yes I’ll be working for a boss, and yes I’ll have a paycheck, but I hope to also be traveling and experiencing some of life’s coolest opportunities. It’s possible if you make it possible. Ask and you shall receive. My curiosity is far more important than my paycheck, and I’m ready to explore.

Right now I’m not looking for a settled lifestyle. I’m looking to do some really cool things in an industry that I love. Travel, help artists advance their careers, try new things and feed my curiosity. I promised myself this year that whatever future jobs I have, I would make sure I have time for myself to explore LIFE. I’m not the type of woman that can sit at a desk all day. I need to explore, create and interact with new people.

We’ve been talking a lot in school lately about where we are all going to end up next year. The general consensus has been Los Angeles or New York City. To my amazement, my professor once asked, “Does anybody want to end up somewhere else?” I shot my hand right up and said, “Yea, Nashville.”

What’s funny is how badly I want to move to Nashville without ever having been there, and there are a few reasons why I want to TRY it. For one, it’s a new place. I’m 22 and I have the whole world available to me. I’m not tied down to anything, and I can do whatever I want.

Disclaimer: I will be visiting Nashville soon to make sure I really like it there! Also, I want to work with up-and-coming country artists, and there is no better place to discover them than at open-mic nights at Nashville bars. I don’t know anybody there, but I’ve been building relationships with alumni and family friends who live there.

I want that settled lifestyle, I really do. But now is not the time for that. Now is the time to do some really cool things so I have no regrets down the road. Take risks, be uncertain and trust that at the end of the day everything will work out. I’m eager to jump into a new environment, because those kinds of situations usually lead to pretty amazing things.

Kelly Myers is a graduate student studying television, radio and film

Kelly Myers