Handgather: A do it yourself pop up flower shop

Mother’s Day is just around the corner and it also happens to be SU’s Commencement Day. Both these occasions are a great reason to get flowers and if you’re looking to support local businesses, floral boutique Handgather is a great place to pick up a gift for mom.

I love leaving campus and meeting people who are passionate about Upstate New York and working to make the region more vibrant, which is how I ended up interviewing Lottie and Fiona of Handgather and learning a lot about flowers in the process.

Neema Amadala: Where did the idea for Handgather come from?
Handgather: The idea that with each season comes different produce on farms and wild flowers on hills helps us to treasure everything in its place. This concept coupled with our lifelong journey of learning to live slower and more purposefully led us to create our little flower cart.

NA: What is Handgather visually about?
HG: We hope to embody the quaint and nostalgic feelings of Parisian street vendors, while combining elements of modern design with vibes that may make you feel like we just arrived from the flower farm.

NA: What are some of your favorite flowers, why?
Fiona: My grandmother used to take me out to fields to play in when I was younger. From an early age, I was particularly drawn to Queen Anne’s Lace which grows wild all over the place in this area. Now whenever I see those wild beauties I am reminded of the knowledge of my grandmother.

Lottie: My favorite flower must be peonies, as they too have an association with my grandmother. I probably spent a year, too afraid to ask if I might clip some peonies from her beds to have in my home. When I finally did find the courage, my grandma urged me to take as many as I could, all summer long. Not only is this a seasonal treasure to me, but equally a reminder as well, that I should be more bold than I typically am.

A Handgather bouquet is a personal experience. Lottie and Fiona help you arrange a bouquet with Upstate New York flowers which you choose.  They “hope that the flowers totally delight the home they are brought to and remind those to live life a little slower.” If you can’t make it to Fayetteville after the Newhouse convocation, Handgather is also at The Yard 604 in Manlius the first Sunday of every month this summer. Handgather is available for a limited number of weddings or events as day of vendors making baby bouquets or flower crowns for guests.

Lottie and Fiona continue to dream about that perfect bicycle cart and hopefully begin to build it. Do you have an idea? Would you like to work with Handgather? Want to hire them? Don’t be shy, reach on out!

Follow Handgather on Instagram for updates on their pop up schedule as well as fun DIY classes.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Lottie and Fiona for taking the time to share their dreams and visions with me. Photography by: Alexandria Obey.

-Neema Amadala is a graduate student studying advertising

Neema Amadala

3 Replies to “Handgather: A do it yourself pop up flower shop”

1. It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this excellent blog!
    I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS
    feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and
    will talk about this site with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

2. How’s it going, handgather?

Do you not wish you could be Instagram popular?

Well, today I will teach you something that will change the way you Instagram.

Picture this: You arise early Friday, even before your alarm goes off.

You roll over in bed to check your cell.

Opening up Instagram.

Youare flabbergastered at what is waiting for you: Over 832 likes on one of your pictures! There, you can see a a huge amount of likes on your pictures–over 832 on a single photo alone.

You rise out of the bed, meander to the kitchen. You want a drink, so you put the kettle on for some coffee, and check Instagram again.

Presto! Another 20 likes.

Here comes another one. This time it is not a like but a message from one of your followers. They congratulate you on your success and let you know they adore waking up to your content.

A smile makes its way on your face as you read another message. This person emailed you to let you know she loves your posts.

As you begin to respond, your cell buzzes again.

Oops, another ping. But no time to write back—you’ve got to hit the gym.
    Listen, handgather, most people just aren’t in control of their life. Heck, they can’t even force themselves to munch a balanced brekky, much less hit the gym.

My job is to take people from Instagram anonymous to Insta-celebrity. (It sounds ridiculous, but results don’t lie.)

Now, what if you could raise your popularity by 100%, or 1000%?

Truth is, it’s not the most complicated thing in the world to get more. For example, all the old pros use our website.

Automagically see tons of likes on your images just minutes after posting.

If you are anything like our other valued compadres, you’ll have a great chance of hitting the “Top Post” section in a very short time.

This is all great, but you’ve really got to put in the work to make it happen. Actually, it’s not real work.
    1. Click https://brightjam.surf
    2. Plug in your Instagram username.
    3. The 3 pictures you posted last will get 10 – 15 likes. Just like that.

Being a regular staple on that page will increase your growth 10x, easy. You know where the answer to fame is. Now reach for it. Are you ready?

See you soon.