Things To Do If You Can’t Go Home For The Holidays

Everybody gets excited about that last week of classes to gets ready to do things such as sleeping, watching Netflix and movies until 4 a.m. the next day, and just hanging out back home. When you realize that there’s only one week left, you start thinking of home and all the things you miss. I’m from Atlanta, Georgia and some of the things I miss are Waffle House, Chic-Fil-A, and just the atmosphere of being home in my city. But sadly, I can’t make it home for Thanksgiving break. I haven’t been home since I moved to Syracuse back in June.

But that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy my break doing other things and still be significantly happy! Here’s a list of things to do for the holidays coming up soon:

1. 1060 Restaurant:  The restaurant inside of Genesee Grande Hotel will be offering a Thanksgiving dinner buffet from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., so if you cannot make it home, at least you can still eat well! They will offer soup and salad stations, hot foods, a turkey carving station and a lieu of desserts. Price: $34.95
  2. Inn Between: This restaurant will be serving the traditional turkey dinner, but if you want something a little non-traditional, you can also choose from these choices: prime rib, salmon or boneless roast duck. Any choice still gets you traditional Thanksgiving sides. It’ll be served from 12:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and reservations are required. Price: $30
  3. Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade: If you’re up for a small road trip with some friends who may be in the same boat you are, you can ride down to New York City for the infamous Macy’s Day Parade! You’ve probably watched this on TV with your family, but to be there and experience it might be a whole new thing.
  4. Volunteer for the Holidays: One thing you can do if you’re in the giving spirit is give to those who need it more than you. There’s always a church or organization that needs help distributing items of clothing and/or food to those in need. You can help prepare food in restaurants and soup kitchens. You could even just spend time with the elderly or patients in the hospital to make them feel more alive than ever.
  5. Holiday Train Show: If you’re in the mood to go to a fun family attraction, you should check out the train show at the Botanical Garden in New York City. You’d think going to see grass and flowers is boring, but trust me, there’s something so beautiful about seeing them with lights on them! You can take thousands of pictures and maybe take a trip with your significant other as well.

But let’s be honest, if all you want to do is just take time for yourself, you can do that too. There are usually early deals you can get to receive massages or for you to just head to the movies for an exclusive matinee deal. If you just want to embrace the warmth of your home, that’s ideal, but if you can get out and be around others, it’ll so much more fun.

With all the friends you’ve made from summer boot camp and from being in your program, I’m sure you could even take a trip home with them! Home away from home, away from home. Whatever you do, I definitely hope you enjoy what you do and have a happy holidays!

Alexis Scott
Alexis Scott is a graduate student at S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and studying Broadcast Digital Journalism. She hopes that when done at Syracuse University, she will be a reporter and multimedia journalist for a media/TV company. You can follow her on Twitter @ livewlex to have updates and follow her journey through graduate school.