Finding Story Ideas As A Broadcast & Digital Journalism Student

Being a Broadcast & Digital Journalism major means that I have many stories to create on hand. I should have about two to three stories that I can go out to shoot almost anytime. Some stories can be timely stories that I can prepare for, while others I should make “evergreen” stories. “Evergreen” stories are pitches that are of ideas I can shoot any time of the day, any time of the semester and the impact will still be the same. Such as, how food cafes help promote local charities.

Over the course of 7 months I’ve learned some techniques that I believe can be helpful to any aspiring Newhouse BDJ applicant, or someone who feels as though they might be struggling with figuring out some story ideas quickly.

Some may find it weird, but going on Facebook and joining different groups such as local groups can help you find some community stories that are like no other. You’ll have personal contact after personal contact and something to always fall back on when you feel there’s “no story”. Not only will joining the groups give you insight to what the community wants and needs, but also will let you know of events going on as well, for spot stories. With this also comes following the SYR Twitter Wire on Twitter. This keeps you up to date with things going on in real time, such as developing stories in your area or even follow-up stories you can follow.

Some might not like watching the news, but it can be a great resource if you’re stuck in a rut. On the news, they cover “A-block” stories which are hard news stories or stories you see at the top of the newscast. The top stories are stories that usually include live hits and not too many packages. What does that mean? It means you can possibly expand on a subject matter to make it into a package. Just food for thought. Another way to do this is to read the newspaper. Some opinion-based or commentary sections can give you insight to what the community around you “feels” or wants. That’s already enough for you to know because with packages you want to always include someone who is affected by what’s going on. By grabbing someone who is right in the middle of what’s happening, it can make for a compelling story right from the inside.

Lastly, just listening and watching with what’s going on around you. If you just sit back and pay attention while you have about 20 minutes, I can guarantee that you find a story you can make come to life. I just recently got an email about how one of Syracuse University’s larger gyms, Archbold, is closed for renovations until 2019. There are other places to work out around campus, but what’s the story? It’s the fact that the largest free gym is closed on campus, and is forcing people to go to the few other choices available. The problem? There is some overflow at these other areas since they are smaller. How do I know this? I was walking to school one day and overhead someone complain about the amount of people and space there is open to them now.

Some days will be better than others, but all in all, there’s always a story you can cover. Just like the famous phrase you’ll hear in Newhouse for Broadcast students, “Listen and know”.

Alexis Scott
Alexis Scott is a graduate student at S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and studying Broadcast Digital Journalism. She hopes that when done at Syracuse University, she will be a reporter and multimedia journalist for a media/TV company. You can follow her on Twitter @ livewlex to have updates and follow her journey through graduate school.