How I Went From Being An Anxious Incoming Master’s Student To A Guide For The Next Class

I remember being in the same position as the incoming Newhouse Master’s class; I was already pretty much done with my undergraduate track, and was taking classes I was just ready to be done with. I had applied to Newhouse very quickly but as it came time to submit, I was so nervous. I was studying Mass Communications with an emphasis in Speech, and I had little reporting experience. I had just finished getting all of the necessary paperwork done and had done my video interview for the application. I kept going back and forth on whether I was making the right decision in applying to a school even further across the country than where home was (Atlanta, GA). With a one-year competitive program and no way of knowing how I was going to pay for the $70K tuition without even my car (not including my rent for my first apartment and other things such as groceries and insurance and such). People often told me that I belonged in DC or NY, and said my destiny was to be fulfilled at Newhouse, saying “You are just like them. You have the drive to be among the best of the best. You’re worth it.” I was solely riding on words of encouragement and faith in God that if it was meant for me, let it show itself to be true.

About a year ago (and some change), I received my acceptance letter via email and the next day received my official letter in the mail. I also received my financial aid package soon after explaining that I wouldn’t have to pay a dime for the program. Amazing. That was the sign for me. But the only other thing that daunted me was the fact I didn’t know a soul in Syracuse and still didn’t really know how to feel comfortable about housing, completing a Master’s program in 13 months, and the overall upstate NY area period. About a week after, I received an email from someone who was still in the program to help answer any questions I had and give me some insights on everything.

I now have that same opportunity and I couldn’t be more thankful. I love that I can be a vessel for someone who is probably feeling what I was feeling around the same time. All those anxious feelings dropped by the time I actually moved in because I had talked so much to my “big” as some would call it. I have the chance to help someone figure out what they feel they don’t know. All the questions they may be afraid to ask, we’re here to let them know the “real deal”. This is something I believe the new class will be sure to love as much as my class did.

I love that Newhouse believes in allowing admitted students to have someone they can lean on, feel like they can relate to, and feel comfortable with. I hope through the people I get to help inspire, that I can help them feel at ease with their newfound decision and also have them help me learn even more about myself.

To the new Master’s class of 2018-2019, congratulations and have no fear…you will conquer this!

Alexis Scott
Alexis Scott is a graduate student at S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and studying Broadcast Digital Journalism. She hopes that when done at Syracuse University, she will be a reporter and multimedia journalist for a media/TV company. You can follow her on Twitter @ livewlex to have updates and follow her journey through graduate school.