Going Global With Newhouse

Going Global With Newhouse

Before I even stepped foot on campus to start the Public Diplomacy program, I knew these two years would go by quickly. On that first day of bootcamp the clock started ticking. My time at Newhouse was limited and I knew I wanted to get the very most out of this experience that I could, on campus and beyond.

Every professor that I encountered encouraged my classmates and I to step out of our comfort zones and take advantage of our time as students to explore not only jobs and internships, but other training and travel opportunities. Their encouragement inspired me to look beyond Syracuse for the chance to dig into my passions for communications and international affairs, and following this tug led me to the Trust Conference.

The Trust Conference is an annual forum hosted by the Thompson Reuters Foundation in London that’s dedicated to advancing human rights around the world. The event brings together 600 delegates from the worlds of media, activism, civil society, law, government, business, and one excited grad student.

Between two days, 3,000 miles, and several panel discussions, my worldview was transformed. It was such a humbling experience to hear from the incredibly brave survivors of human trafficking and modern slavery and those on the frontlines fighting these massive global issues. Not only was it important to bear witness to these gut-wrenching stories, it was so valuable as a future communications professional to learn more about telling these stories in an impactful and ethical way.

Slavery is a difficult topic and one that can be uncomfortable to consider. But if we aren’t having these conversations, how can we do anything about it? Dutch businessman Arjen Boekhold dryly pointed out that we live in a world where there are more internet searches for recipes with capers than searches about modern slavery.

There is incredible work being done around the world to raise awareness for and end this terrible crime, and I’m so grateful to have even been in the same room as these inspiring leaders, activists, and survivors. This is a collective human problem that we all need to be aware of and working to address. As a student, communicator, and storyteller, I’m happy to do my tiny, microscopic part in raising awareness.

Representing Syracuse at the Trust Conference has been a huge highlight of my experience as a graduate student, and it would not have been possible without the support of Newhouse faculty and staff. The encouragement from my professors and the financial support I received from Newhouse got me to London, and their contributions have inspired me to work doubly hard to make a difference through my work.

It’s easy to get bogged down as a graduate student. Between the tests, papers, job and internship searches, it’s a lot. Speaking from experience though, I would encourage every Newhouse grad student to keep an eye open for and pursue these special opportunities to learn and grow. The time we that we have here is limited, so don’t be afraid to make the most of it.  

Mary Martin