What I Have Learned At Newhouse So Far

What I Have Learned At Newhouse So Far

As a graduate student at Newhouse, I knew I was joining an elite institution that will provide me with the skills, resources, and contacts I need as I begin my journey in professional journalism. What struck me the most was that professors were willing to provide their phone numbers and encouraged students to text or call them anytime for help. This is something unheard off back in India, at least in my experience.

Newhouse has already taught me how to use graphic design skills, improve my speaking ability when it comes to talking to strangers, and my writing skills in the world of sports. All of this was just during a six-week bootcamp from July 1st to August 9th, 2019. While bootcamp was no walk in the park, it laid down the foundations I needed for Fall semester.

I believe Syracuse University is also unique in its ability to create such school spirit based on nothing more than a color. Go Orange! is already engraved in my being and I haven’t even been to a single game yet. But orange is prevalent EVERYWHERE on campus from the names, websites, sports teams, mascot, tv station, radio, print magazines, etc.

When I first came to Syracuse, I was blown away by the campus grounds and magnificent buildings. One building across the lush green lawns from Newhouse looks like Hogwarts in real life, and I remember thinking that must be an exaggeration before coming here, but I assure you it really isn’t.

Newhouse provides students with the opportunity to shape their own time here, and by that, I mean extra activities, clubs, internships, etc. While at Newhouse, I will shortly begin an English football podcast with some friends in Newhouse that share a passion for football like me.

Newhouse’s Sports Communications is world class, and with reason. Whether you love writing, broadcast, radio, or anything else Newhouse Sports will find a way to cater to your passion and skills to make the most of your experience here.

For any potential students applying or thinking of applying to Newhouse, all I can say is this, take that chance no matter what. If they say no, there will always be more opportunities, but if they say yes, then know that your future is in the best possible hands. I know it is cliché for a student already accepted here to say such things, but I was rejected from coming to Syracuse University when I applied for my undergrad and was able to finally come to Newhouse and take part in its Sports Communication program now as a graduate student.

To conclude, Newhouse has already helped me learn new things I never thought I would have the opportunity to learn, and to learn from industry leaders and professionals who are experts in their fields is just the tip of the iceberg. Education is about shaping your future the way you want it, so your education should be shaped the way you want it too, and Newhouse certainly provides that.

Veer Badani