My decision to pursue two graduate degrees at once

Balancing my schedule between two programs is not an easy task, but one that has benefited me in many ways. Being a dual-degree graduate student at the College of Law and at Newhouse has been trying but a decision that I don’t regret in the least.

Getting exposure to two distinct student bodies has been of utmost importance to me. I’m the type of person that learns from others. Different perspectives help the various concepts and ideas I’ve learned in both programs get through to me. Being able to meet new people has also been great for me from a networking perspective.

Both programs are centered on the ability to write effectively. The writing required for each, however, is completely different. Getting used to “shifting” between the two programs has been akin to someone who is bilingual getting used to switching between two languages. The process has been difficult to get used to but has sharpened my overall writing ability. Whether I’m writing for my law classes or for my public relations classes, I consider the “big picture” when expressing a thought. This all-encompassing approach is what I envisioned when deciding to pursue both degrees simultaneously.

For those interested in taking advantage of Syracuse University’s dual-degree option, I highly recommend it. The ability to obtain two degrees at once for the same cost adds tremendous value to my educational experience. One of the many advantages of attending a school like Syracuse University is the fact that this institution specializes in so many different areas.

I am quite happy that I decided to take advantage of the dual-degree program and very much look forward to my final year – my third year at the College of Law and my second year at Newhouse.

The dual-degree program is undoubtedly worth it.

Will it make things more difficult from a scheduling perspective? Yes.

Will it, at times, overextend you? It is quite likely.

Is the overall experience worth the effort? Absolutely.

Siddharth Bahl