Album Review: don’t smile at me

Album Review: don’t smile at me

If you haven’t heard of Billie Eilish, here is a link to her Vevo channel on Youtube. Very recently, I woke up to this artist’s existence. I have a tendency to be a little wary about new artists when they’re suggested to me, and I’ve been kicking myself about that quality ever since I realized how talented Eilish really is; one of my close friends was sending me song after song for the past couple of months, but I was unforgivably lax about getting around to listening to them. Once I finally got around to listening to her, I didn’t stop. For being a 16-year-old, she seems to me to be a more developed artist than some people who’ve been in the biz for much longer.

If you shut off the lights, lay down in your bed, and listen to don’t smile at me with your headphones in, I promise it is an ethereal experience. However, I can’t not also recommend watching her music videos and live performances; Eilish’s image (including her overall style and the personality that comes out in her performances) feels very alternative and chic, but its unique enough that I can’t really describe it with something so simple as a word.

The album itself was released August 11, 2017 with Interscope Records and written by Eilish and her brother, who is only 19-years-old himself. It’s evident that the content of the album is inspired by Eilish’s own life experiences, but in a way that listeners can easily resonate with the messages. Eilish is able to articulate herself in a surprisingly worldly way, considering her age and experience. The sound clearly emphasizes Eilish’s background in chorale and some potential R&B influences. As I listen to this album over and over, the experience only gets more incredible. “COPYCAT” opens the album and sets the bar for the overall soundscape, really bringing in that ethereal feeling right away for listeners. Next up, “idontwannabeyouanymore” rips my heart to shreds; the main focus of the song is clearly resonating with any women who’ve been uncomfortable in their own skin, but I think that it reaches beyond women to anyone, really (as long as they’re open to the message, of course).

Following that, the pace picks up on more evident Jazz influence with “my boy”. The clever lyrics and the fast tempo take you on a journey, during which you’re probably reflecting on a flaky past lover. Slowing things down again, “watch” brings you into your feels with the kind of song that you can’t help cranking the volume on and belting out in the car or shower. And although you’re going to be in the feels for a little while longer, “party favor” definitely brings a more lighthearted vibe to the album. Between the tears, you can give the lyrics a solid listen and fuel more tears once you get an idea of what’s going on.

I did not know originally that “bellyache” was a song about multiple homicides. Listening to it on a very surface level the first few times, I thought it was just an awesome, catchy song. Once I really listened in, I realized that Eilish is delivering this story with a clever and very clear progression. I could also probably watch the music video for hours. Following that, “ocean eyes” is soothing and honest, digging into feelings of love and desire. The song originally was posted on Soundcloud, where it generated over a million plays. Closing the album, “hostage” opens with a more raw, acoustic feel and an evident male voice harmonizing with Eilish. This song goes beyond love into potential obsession, and does so in a captivating manner.

If you haven’t listened to this album through yet, make sure you add it to your to-do list. Connect with Billie Eilish on social media as well: Spotify | Instagram | Twitter

Garrett Calton on BehanceGarrett Calton on EmailGarrett Calton on FacebookGarrett Calton on Linkedin
Garrett Calton
S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications | Advertising Master's '18