Embracing The Work From Home life, Newhouse Student Launches Web Series

During unprecedented times, creativity can be considered sparse. After returning to my hometown of Toronto, Canada for Spring break with the intention to return back to the U.S. for school at a later time, my plans drastically changed. Within days, classes had moved online for the remainder of the semester and the US-Canada border closed. While my world remained shaken and between two countries, I wanted to make the most of the situation, since moping around was not helping enhance my career or grow my storytelling skills.

I was fortunate to study at arguably, one of the best broadcast journalism schools in the country and I didn’t want to let my time pass without making the most of every moment. I realized that I have something in common with everyone at this time – we are all at home.

I used this premise to create a web series to connect people around the world and share their stories on how their lives have changed. Being a  Broadcast Digital Journalism Sports Emphasis student, I wanted the web series to cover sports, entertainment & lifestyle. I am fortunate to have my colleague Izabella Sowka, a dual JD Candidate at the University of Windsor and the University of Detroit Mercy, co-produce the series with me. We are colleagues from Ryerson University where we majored in Media Production. Due to the everchanging times, our plans shifted,  but we are grateful to have the opportunity to work together and get our creative juices flowing.

Introducing ‘Social Distance’ a web series sharing people’s stories from their homes:

My first episode features a Canadian Olympic athlete and Syracuse Alumni, you can access that here (link to episode 1 article).

Julianna D'Urzo