“Project Dad:” Looking Back On One Of My Favorite Projects Of The Year

During this time, I find myself reflecting on my time at Syracuse University.  I am so fortunate to have had such an amazing year at Newhouse. I developed great relationships, mentorships and learned so much allowing me to produce countless stories.

One of my favorite pieces, which touches home, is “Project Dad.” I co-produced this piece alongside my colleagues Lindsay Eastwood, fellow Television Radio Film Graduate student and Peyton Smith, a rising senior.

The inspiration came from a trip back to Syracuse from our homes in Canada that Lindsay and I took during the summer. While returning to Syracuse, Lindsay, the captain of the Syracuse Women’s Ice Hockey Team explained to me this was a trip her father took every weekend from her freshman to senior year at Syracuse from Ottawa, Canada.

I am so proud to have produced this piece alongside my team, Lindsay Eastwood and Peyton Smith, involving such a compelling story of a father who was destined for the NHL but didn’t get to go because his father didn’t support his dream. Instead, he used his connections to help his brother play 15 seasons in the NHL. He now supports his daughter’s dream to play professionally.

I would like to thank my Professor Olivia Stomski for making this possible.

Julianna D'Urzo