BDJ Boot Camp 2013: Isaac Berky

BDJ Boot Camp 2013: Isaac Berky

BDJ Boot Camp 2013
“You'll grow and learn more than you ever thought you would."

by Isaac Berky '14

The term “boot camp” conjurs up thoughts of pain and struggle, both mental and physical. 

Don’t worry; the summer “boot camp” for BDJ students won’t test you physically, but mentally and emotionally it will be a tough time for everyone involved.  That being said, boot camp is a great experience.  Whether or not you have had experience writing, editing, and producing news stories before, you can expect, at some point, to be stressed, frustrated, and slightly crazed. 

During boot camp, you aren't eased into anything.  The professors do not give you time to learn to swim—you just get tossed into the deep end.  Even though this may scare some people off, it is one of the things that makes boot camp such a good experience. Since every BDJ student is in the same situation, everyone becomes a close-knit group from the start.  You all learn to help and work with each other through all sorts of problems.  Sure, the days are long, and at times you will just want to get away from everything, but if broadcast journalism is something you want to pursue, there is no better place to do that than at Syracuse. 

The idea of academic boot camp will intimidate some, but the experience is something that cannot be replaced by any amount of time spent sitting at a desk taking notes.  The hands-on approach of boot camp will only help you improve your craft.  Boot camp will push you outside of your comfort zone. 

The opportunity that bootcamp presents is both unique and awesome.  Boot camp is something that no other school I looked at offered. I am glad that I was able to go through boot camp because I grew as a broadcaster and learned more about my field than I ever thought I could.

Jillian Thaw