What Is The True Code for Journalism Ethics?

Two classes in the Broadcast and Digital Journalism curriculum discuss the ethics of journalism. These classes are Media Law and News Perspective. The courses incorporate case studies of  journalism while emphasizing what is and is not protected under the First Amendment and U.S. Constitution.

So far at Newhouse, my most memorable ethical dilemma has been a story I did on racial profiling. I had to ask questions regarding race and discrimination. I struggled with asking these sensitive subjects, but as taught by my professors, it is better to ask the uncomfortable questions out of respect. To my surprise, the people interviewed showed more respect toward me because I asked tough questions. The interviewees felt their answers were valued.

In addition, I have learned the importance of place and manner judgment. For example, it is legal for a journalist to record video on a public sidewalk.  However, I tried interviewing soldiers in a mall near Fort Drum and was asked to leave the mall because I did not have mall approval.The mall may be open to the public, but it is considered private property. Knowing when to turn the camera on and off is also an important part of being a journalist. Interviews can become personal; if someone is crying during an interview, it captures an emotional weight you don’t normally witness. However, it is unethical to keep the camera rolling if the emotional interviewee asks to stop the camera and interview.

Ethical decision making is  inherently subjective and new issues are constantly brought up in the media. From racial issues to whistleblowing to sports reporting to community activities, journalists walk a fine line between right and wrong. I go by the rule of human instinct: if my gut feeling is to stop recording or start recording, that gut feeling is probably right.

For more information on journalistic ethics, visit this link.

Lena Wallace