Making the Most of Your Time

Making the Most of Your Time

workingWhen I first entered Boot Camp over the summer I was overwhelmed with gratitude for being there and then trying to balance school work, family, and just life in general. Boot Camp was rewarding in that it started to give me an idea of where I needed to focus my time and energy, but it also made me realize that I did not have as much relevant experience as others. I turned that revelation into an obtainable goal and how I would reward myself for each goal reached (I am a very organized person).

Yes, graduating from Newhouse will definitely help with obtaining a job, but it is more than academics that will ultimately set me apart, and with the advertising program being so compact it was not really an option to intern anywhere because of my time limitations. I searched and also waited for opportunities to pop up and I am happy to say that I did find a few within the school.

There are SO many ways to be involved on and off campus, but not everything may be as directly useful as others and so you want to put a filter on what you are looking for in order to make your search seem less daunting. If there is something you are truly interested in and you are willing to work as hard on it as your school work then go for it. You’ll constantly learn and in my opinion that is never a bad thing.

If you put yourself out there and tweak it so that it fits within your goals then I would not let taking the “standard path” let you from exploring your own way. As Robert Frost wrote,

“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.”
Shannon Connor