4 Reasons Why I Wish I Went Home For Thanksgiving In The Last 4 Years

Moving across the nation to pursue a top-notch education has its strengths and weaknesses, even in today’s fast-paced environment. Transportation technology allows young, bright minds to attend whichever schools they can imagine, and I was fortunate enough to take the risk of moving far away from home to attend a prestigious institution.

About a half decade ago, I decided to leave my home of Irving, TX to become a student-athlete at Cornell University. Afterward, I came straight to Newhouse at Syracuse University to pursue a Master’s degree. I have learned a lot on my journey in the Northeast, but I would be remiss to not say that I miss home.

Don’t get me wrong, the Northeast isn’t all that bad. I have acclimated myself well into this part of the United States, spending my last four Thanksgiving breaks in either New Jersey or New York City (shout out to my old college roommate Rachid Zidani & his family, and my great Auntie Delia and Uncle John). But this year, I decided to fly back to Texas to surprise my family for the holidays, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Soaking in all the love and care from my friends and family was worth the last-minute flight. I don’t get to see the people I grew up with as much as I would like, and it always causes me to reflect about our friendships and all the great times we had. With that being said, I have taught myself a few ways to cope with the feelings of missing my loved ones when times are tough at school. Here are four lessons I have learned over the last four years:

1. Have pictures of your friends and family some place you will look every day. -A visual reminder of your loved ones will help keep them close in your heart. From framed pictures for your dorm/apartment to family pictures as your lock screen for your phone, it’s always nice to see their faces, so when you visit for the holidays, they will not seem unfamiliar in the slightest!
  2. Use places, people, and things from home as subjects for your assignments. -Do you have a lot of creative writing assignments? Try incorporating nouns that remind you about home when setting the scene for your written work. It even helps you get your thoughts and ideas across clearer if you don’t have to worry about the subject/setting of your written work because you are already familiar with it.
  3. Call/message your friends/family when you miss them! -With today’s communication technology, it’s almost impossible to not find a way to talk to old friends if you miss them. Call your parents/guardians anytime because they probably WANT to hear your voice. Set up group chats with your friend groups back home to keep the laughs going when you have to part ways.
  4. Always remember that they will share unconditional love. – If you feel you are up to your neck with assignments and work on campus, chances are you don’t have much time to always call/message your family and friends. These people all recognize the sacrifice you made to leave them to embark on a journey without them, so they will always be looking out for you. This sense of unconditional love is rare to find in relationships, so cherish the friends and family you want to keep around for the rest of your lives.
Tobenna Attah on EmailTobenna Attah on FacebookTobenna Attah on InstagramTobenna Attah on LinkedinTobenna Attah on TwitterTobenna Attah on Youtube
Tobenna Attah
Transmedia Entrepreneur
Tobe V. Attah is a multimedia entrepreneur with a mission to innovate in today’s new media landscape while making a meaningful impact in the world. He founded Doodle the News in October 2017, a mutliplatform hub for people to have their voices heard and help them become more civic minded through bite-sized journalism.
He has been published across a wide variety of media outlets, including Sports Illustrated, the Cornell Daily Sun, SportTechie, Clutchpoints, Cavs Nation, the Cornell Chronicle, and many more.
Tobe has a plethora of hobbies, including writing, athletics, drawing, acting, and collaborating with others about ideas and startups working in the multimedia space.