Entering Student Competitions

Entering Student Competitions

I was at a Christmas party when I found out that my first two advertising campaigns each earned a Silver Graphis New Talent award. I immediately texted my artist–and almost 2,000 miles apart at different parties, we celebrated the win. Then this weekend, I may have spent most of it fretting at the post office, taping glossy prints to foam and using an X-Acto knife to make sure everything had an exact one-inch border. It sounds extra, but the truth is that the best thing you can do while at Newhouse is entering competitions for awards. And while that process can seem tedious and filled with last minute edits or strange photo resolution guidelines, it can be worth it in the end.

First, it feels great to feel validated in what you’re trying to do. Someone out there in the world is letting you know that you’re talented and you’re not wasting your time. Second and more importantly, having an award for your work means that the industry you wish to enter already appreciates your work. When recruiters look at your profile or resume, they’ll know that they’re not the only ones who like your voice. When your work is subject to personal taste, it can be hard to know if your judgment will match how the community feels. Usually I face this problem from the outside looking in: will my ideas make sense to other advertisers? Will they “get it?” Knowing the work my partner and I worked on was recognized, I can see that our ideas aren’t just clever to the two of us–the people we’re hoping to work with one day are already impressed.
So, how does one enter competitions (and win)?

Whatever your talent, there’s a community out there, somewhere. Do research online and find the competitions that are meant for beginners or students. It’s important to find something that matches your level of talent so you can compete with people who have backgrounds similar to yours. Often, competitions have specific requirements (oh boy, do they love those presentation guidelines) and fees, not to mention die-hard deadlines. Guidelines can come in the form of convoluted videos or Odyssey length packets. Read these in a quiet room where you can pay attention! Judges won’t care if your work is great unless they get to see it, and if you miss a key direction, they won’t even get a chance. After you gather all the specifics for each competition, try managing all the information with a spreadsheet, paying special attention to those due dates.

What to apply? When you’ve been working hard all year, it can be hard to decide which of your pieces most deserves the opportunity to be awarded. Start by looking at past winners on the specific competition you’re entering. Do they want pieces that say something innovative and new? Are they focusing on judging your technical skills? Most importantly, is there a theme that they want all the ultimate winners to tie into? (Often the case, if you’re a photographer/writer seeking publication.) After you’ve answered these questions, ask your friends what pieces they like best. You’re looking for something you’d be proud to talk about in a job interview, something that only you could have made. Remember, your unique take and creativity will stand out the most because there’s only one you!

Most importantly, don’t feel let down if a piece fails to win. Find someone knowledgeable to connect with, show them the piece and ask them why. In the end, learning something new can be even more valuable than winning. Keep your head held high, go forth and good luck!

Isabel Drukker