Benchmark Trip Provides Opportunity for Invaluable Public Relations Exposure

The Newhouse Public Relations Benchmark Trip to New York City was an incredible experience, and one that benefited me in a multitude of ways. My colleagues and I had the fortune of visiting several prominent agencies and organizations in the city with hopes of finding out more about their organizational culture, finding out how their recruiting process works and networking with established professionals. Each stop was unique and brought a different perspective on how they incorporate public relations strategy into their practice.

It is my hope to work for a public relations agency upon graduation. Most big public relations agencies are headquartered in the New York City area. That is precisely why I didn’t think twice when presented with the opportunity to go on the benchmark trip. I enjoyed nearly all of our stops and developed some great contacts. I also have a much better idea of what agency life is like and what they look for in prospective candidates.

What I found most interesting was finding out how the various individuals we met with progressed through their careers. It provided me with invaluable insight on what I can do to differentiate myself from other prospective applicants in hopes of, one day, working for a large public relations agency. In the ultra competitive market of today, little things like that can go a long way.

I recommend the Benchmark Trip, without reservation, to any Newhouse public relations graduate student. It’s a fantastic opportunity to expose yourself to the wonderful world of public relations in the “public relations mecca” of the world.

new-york-city

Siddharth Bahl