Experiencing A Live Musical For The First Time: Disney’s The Lion King

Last Wednesday night, I had the opportunity to to see my very fist live musical. It was something I’d been dreaming of for decades and had on my bucket list even since before I knew what a bucket list was. For anyone out there that’s not aware of how the Audio Arts program works, we are technically listed under SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts, but we are also part of Newhouse due to our communications-oriented nature. Thanks to what I usually call my “Dual College Status”, I was able to reserve a ticket to the final dress rehearsal for Disney’s The Lion King before its opening night at The Landmark Theater, a privilege that had been awarded for students strictly under SU:VPA.

If I had to describe my experience in one word, I would have to use “wow” because I entered the theater full of excitement and I left speechless. I’m not sure if it was because of the nostalgia from growing up with this story, or because of how captivating the overall production was, or even both, but I was shedding happy tears since the first note from Circle of Life was played, up until the moment the curtain dropped. From the stunning and elaborate costume and set design, the precise and colorful lighting design, the tasteful sound design and beautiful orchestrations, and all other elements of the production, it’s no secret why this musical is one of the longest-running Broadway musicals to this date, as well as the top grossing Broadway show. Oh and let’s not forget about its six Tony Awards, international productions and over a decade of national tours.  

Going in, I opted to not listen to the cast recording beforehand because I wanted to get the full experience. It’s generally not in my nature to avoid listening to a cast recording since, despite having never seen a show before, my phone is packed with nothing but broadway albums. I have to say, I am not disappointed nor do I regret doing so. It was beautiful to listen to all the arrangements for the songs we all know and love, along with the songs specifically made for the show. I’m not going to lie, while I cried happy tears the entire time, I most certainly did cry some ugly ones too during the reprise for He Lives in You because it reminded me of how my grandfather always supported me and pushed me to be the best version of myself I could be while he was alive. He was one of my biggest influences growing up, just like Mufasa was for Simba, so that one hit close to home.

One thing that threw me off for just a second was when I heard Buyi Zama’s soulful mezzo soprano vocals for the first time while portraying Rafiki. I didn’t know that they had rewritten the character for the musical as female, but I’ve always been a strong advocate for creative liberty when working on any form of adaptation, so I didn’t think much of it anyway. Researching further on the production after seeing it, I read that the character was reinvented as female due to the absence of female leads, so bravo for this bold choice! Got my seal of approval for sure!

Needless to say, this one’s a must see, regardless of whether or not musical theater is your thing. I, for one, can’t wait to go back for more.

Monica Gonzalez on TwitterMonica Gonzalez on Wordpress
Monica Gonzalez
Mónica González is a Master's student from the Audio Arts program at Syracuse University. Born and raised in sunny Puerto Rico, she relocated to snowy Syracuse New York to make her professional dreams a reality. Her background in Journalism and Television production are what drive her to pursue the truth, and her knack for storytelling is what motivated her to bring compelling stories to the Newhouse Insider. In the past, she's been published by companies within the literary industry in Puerto Rico, and her content has been sponsored by Major publishers such as Harper Collins International. In the future, she dreams of combining her love for books and Broadway by producing literary adaptations for musical theater. Remember her name, and don't be shocked when a Playbill page mentions her.