Helpful Tips For Your Grad School Application

Deciding to pursue graduate studies is a big decision, for sure. Prospective grad students have to weigh factors like cost of attendance, program length, personal budget, housing and transportation, among other things. But before you even make it to that step, you have to get past the application process, which is simultaneously daunting and exciting. Based on my own experience, here are five tips to help make your Newhouse application process run as smoothly as possible.

Express interest in the school and gather as much information as you can.

To put forward a successful grad school application, it helps to know some information about the school and program. I found Newhouse’s magazine, newspaper and online journalism (MNO) master’s program on my own while I was casually searching for similar programs online, and the program descriptions and alumni statistics on Newhouse’s website immediately piqued my interest. From there, I sent a quick email asking about events for prospective grad students, and I quickly found myself at their open house in November 2018. There, I got to meet with current students, Melissa Chessher (my future program director, who would later read my Newhouse application) and other MNO professors. I also got some useful information about financial aid, housing, campus life and alumni networking. Going into my application, I felt much more confident and informed. I would recommend attending at least one admissions event, because it shows that you’re seriously considering the school you’re visiting.

A Newhouse folder and information sheet about the Magazine, Newspaper & Online Journalism master's program
Gather as much information as you can about your prospective school. (Photo by Sarah Midani)

Contact your references ahead of time, and choose them carefully.

Before I even started writing my personal statement, I contacted three people who could speak to my academic and professional abilities: two professors at my undergrad school who taught me during multiple semesters, and the executive editor at a magazine where I had interned. If you can, try to find a mix of recommenders who can praise different aspects of your accomplishments, work ethic and personal qualities. Newhouse accepts students from all backgrounds, whether or not they have prior journalism experience, and they’re truly interested in learning about what you’ve done before you decided to apply. There is a place on your application to enter your recommenders’ names and contact information, and they’ll be contacted about the recommendation process. I would strongly suggest speaking to these individuals beforehand so they know what you’re expecting of them, and ask if they would like to see your resume, the program description or a list of personal goals so they can recommend you as successfully and accurately as possible.

A student types on a laptop.
Contact your references as early as possible. (Photo from Pixabay)

Be honest in your personal statement, and don’t downplay your accomplishments.

Your personal statement is your chance to tell, in your own words, who you are and why you should be at Newhouse. You don’t have to write a comprehensive list of everything you’ve ever done (that’s what your resume or CV is for); instead, use the personal statement to expand upon something in your resume or a non-professional experience that profoundly affected you in some way. I would also suggest explaining what skills you hope to gain at Newhouse. While you want to show that you’re a good fit for the school, also show them how they’re a good fit for you.

Use your personal statement to share your favorite qualities about yourself! (Photo from Pixabay)

Be ready for an interview.

The interview process, including whether an interview is required, varies by school. Newhouse requires a video interview instead of the GRE, which is helpful because it gives a more complete look at who you are as a person and a student. Your video interview will become available once you’ve submitted your written application online. Make sure you plan your timing carefully so you know you’ll have a quiet, well-lit place to do the interview. I ended up doing mine during a family vacation to Florida, and I remember asking the TSA officials at the airport to be extra careful with my laptop (luckily, everything went smoothly). Even though a video interview may seem strange, just treat it like any other conversation (it’s worth noting that the questions are pre-recorded and not asked in real time). In my case, I watched a short welcome video from Professor Chessher and answered some practice questions before diving into the real thing. The practice questions put me at ease and helped me get used to the layout of the interview. You have some time to think before each question, and you can see the timer to keep track of your response time.

You’ll have to complete an interview during your application to Newhouse. (Photo from Pixabay)

If you have any questions along the way, don’t hesitate to ask.

Unlike the Common Application of the American undergrad application process, grad school applications are done individually. Each school has different required application materials, admissions criteria and application submission methods, so if you’re confused about something, don’t be afraid to ask for help. At Newhouse, professors and the Graduate Records Office personnel are always happy to answer questions and offer guidance to prospective students, and they’ll continue to help you once you’re here. You can email them at nhmasters@syr.edu. You can also find the contact information for your prospective program’s director by visiting the Newhouse Graduate School’s website: newhouse.syr.edu/admissions/graduate

The outside of Newhouse.
Don’t hesitate to come to anyone at Newhouse with questions that you may have. (Photo by Sarah Midani)

Sarah Midani