How To Find Academic Success (The Millennial Way)

Julianna D’Urzo, Graduate Student in Broadcast Digital Journalism  ’20

As I started my journey at Newhouse, I have learned what works and what doesn’t work very quickly into the process. When I say quickly, I mean instantly, because if you may not know already, life as a graduate student is very fast-paced. I used to think undergrad was difficult, but looking back I didn’t know what was coming. 

Academic success is something we can all accomplish but it does not come easy, regardless of whatever field you are in. I have composed a list of ways that help me feel better about this treacherous journey of education. One of the things my dad keeps reminding me is “trust the process” and these are some of the tactics I have learned during the process.

(1) Organization 

• This may seem like a no brainer, but being organized makes your day go that much smoother. It is common to get overwhelmed so by having a constant to-do list, one which you can actually cross off so you can see your progress will help you in the long run. By having the ability to cross off the completed tasks, you will be able to see what you have already completed and what to do next.

(2) Time Management 

• Your Calendar will be your best friend, by having a timeline so you are aware of what is happening where and when will go a long way. Remember, use your time wisely, there is a lot of it but when you are balancing a master’s degree there does not feel like there is enough time in the whole week! 

(3) File Management 

• Also known as media management… have a clean desktop, nothing is worse than having files everywhere. Organization is key, have the files you are currently working on in corresponding folders, that way you know where everything is. 

(4) Use Sticky Notes In your Digital Space 

• Divide up your document files under sticky notes so you know what you have to do, what has to be resumed and what is already completed.

(5) Meal Prep

• This one may not be for everyone, but I think it is more cost-efficient and beneficial to help me have a smooth week and stay healthy. I often go grocery shopping before the weekend that way I can avoid busy supermarkets and I can focus on completing all my meal prep in one day, which usually occurs on Sunday. 

(6) Stay Active

• I think this has been my saviour for not getting sick this year. However, I have compromised doing yoga and that has really affected my body, especially with all the sitting I do. Exercise can be easy, even just walking more can help your body stay in shape and help keep a consistent immune system. I think it also helps my brain power by getting a few workouts in a week. 

(7) Take Breaks, often 

• You are definitely more effective if you take breaks frequently during your work period. Breaks should have some movement to them, that way you can give your brain a rest. One of my professors always makes us take a break and walk around, that way when we come back from break we are refreshed and ready to go. I have found this extremely beneficial.

(8) Power Naps are your friend 

• I am someone who needs 8 hours of sleep but that is just not possible with my schedule sometimes. I sleep a lot over the weekends to help me catch up from long weeks. I also try and take little naps during the day 15 – 30 minutes, which usually end up turning into an hour, if I have 2-hour break. This helps me work more efficiently during the day. 

(9) Ask Questions 

• At the end of the day, you are here to learn and if asking your professors questions can help you learn, Ask away! 

(10)  Utilize your resources at school 

• There are so many resources to use at your school from gyms, to career centres, you are already there, you just may have to do a little research to find out where they are located, but take advantage of them!
Julianna D'Urzo