Summer Housing Search

Summer Housing Search

The process of finding a summer public relations internship is tedious. It requires extensive research, follow up, luck and patience. The process of finding a place to live, however, is even more burdensome!

Although I am still finalizing my internship plans, I plan on being in the Chicago area. I recently got engaged to a fellow law student, and she will be with me this summer. We also have a one-year-old border collie/black lab mix named “Cuse,” who will also be with us. Finding short-term housing is tough. Finding short-term housing that is also pet-friendly is excruciatingly tough.

Although there is no “right” way to approach the summer housing search, I think starting on reputable websites like Sublet.com and Apartments.com will help give you a background on the area, what types of places are available and what will fit within your price range. Those two sources are reputable and comprehensive, so you won’t have to worry about scams. If not, then another good place to look is Craigslist. The danger with Craigslist, as you might imagine, is the susceptibility to scams. Anyone with a computer can post to Craigslist. As such, you’ll need to do some extra research on Craigslist. As is the case with any situation involving money, make sure you do your due diligence and perform all of the necessary research prior to making any sort of commitment.

images

My best advice would be to start this process early. The sooner you start, the sooner you can become familiar with the housing market. It’s much better to have a few decent options to choose from than being forced to live in a closet because it was the only thing available.

If you start the process early, you can also become familiar with the neighborhoods in a particular city. This will help you determine appropriate rent rates, what your required comfort level is and transportation. Keep all of these variables in mind while looking for housing, and you’ll find a place in no time!

1396544178898

Siddharth Bahl